Data sources enable Shape to track and push changes from our platform to the various ad networks. If a data source stops working, this prohibits us from helping you properly manage PPC spend.
Why am I receiving a "Data Source Permissions Error" email alert?
Shape members receive a "Data Source Permissions Error " email alert when a data source has stopped working. Every new Shape company sets up data sources by linking the email they use to log in to ad platforms (such as Google Ads, Microsoft Ads, and Facebook Ads) to manage PPC campaigns.
Reasons that an entire data source may stop working include:
- The password changed for a data source
- A person's work email was set as a data source. That person left the company, and their data source was removed.
- An advertising platform required a reset (ex: LinkedIn requires data source refreshes every 60 days).
When a data source becomes inactive or has errors, Shape cannot pull the most up-to-date spend/metrics for any campaigns associated with that data source. Budgets will appear to be wildly underspent until this issue is fixed. If this issue persists for too long, this could cause clients to overspend their budgets.
Shape notifies you of these issues in two ways.
- In the platform, the right-hand side of the screen will display a warning alerting you that a Data Source is missing access. It will list the platform and email associated and give you the option to "Resync Data Source."
- If you navigate to the Data Sources page, the Access column will display a red warning sign next to the email that is missing permissions with the option to ReSync.
How do I fix this issue?
The alert email you receive should have the affected ad platform and email associated with the data source.
- Navigate to the Data Sources page in Shape.
- Click "Sync New Data Source"
- Click the ad platform logo of the data source with the error
- A form will appear asking you to verify your credentials.
- Enter your credntials and follow the prompts to allow Shape permission to change your campaigns.
- Shape will notify you when the Data Source is successfully relinked. If an error displays, please contact Shape Support (email@example.com).
Need additional assistance?
If you need additional help with this error, respond to the alert email you received or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.