BigQuery offers a direct integration with Data Studio/Looker Studio. If you're working in Data Studio/Looker Studio, learn how to add your Shape Data Warehouse data from Google BigQuery in a few easy steps.
Adding BigQuery as a Data Source in Data Studio/Looker Studio
Once your Shape Data Warehouse is spun up, you can add Google BigQuery as a data source in Google Data Studio/Looker Studio.
To add BigQuery as a data source to Data Studio/Looker Studio, your Shape Data Warehouse will need to be activated first. To activate your Shape Data Warehouse, follow these directions.
1. Navigate to Google Data Studio/Looker Studio and create a new report.
2. You'll be asked to add an existing data source or "Create New Data Source." Select "Create New Data Source."
3. A list of Data Studio/Looker Studio Connectors will appear. Select "BigQuery."
4. You should be taken to a screen where you will be asked to select a BigQuery project. Under the "My Projects" tab you will see a project named "shape-warehouse-####".
5. Click "shape-warehouse-####."
6. You can select "all_data" or "compiled views." "All_data" includes all the tables you have access to, while "compiled views" includes all the views" available. Learn about the differences between tables and views here.
7. Optional - You can select whether you want a table partitioned. This divides large tables into smaller segments. Shape Data Warehouse tables are designed to be easily and quickly queried by Google BigQuery and Data Studio/Looker Studio, so this may not be necessary. However, you select this if desired.
8. Click connect in the upper right-hand corner.
9. On the following screen, you'll see the fields available for the data source. Click "Add to Report." Your data is now available in Google Data Studio/Looker Studio!